Opportunity closing date:
Friday, 30 March, 2018
The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI), a subsidiary of the SADC Secretariat structure was recently established as a regional center of excellence on groundwater hosted by the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services –Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana.
SADC-GMI (www.sadc-gmi.org) based in Bloemfontein South Africa, has an existing vacancy available:
Infastructure Consultant (12 Month Contract)
Key responsibilities of this position include:
- Providing operational support for groundwater infrastructure development in the SADC Member States
- Ensuring that all sub-grantees under the SADC-GMI sub-grants scheme perform according to the terms of their Approved sub-Grant Agreements
- Undertaking quarterly technical support and supervision missions to the Prime Partner, Focal group and the sub-Grantees in the Member States
- Visiting the sub-grantees on a scheduled, need based and on exceptional circumstances basis to provide direct support
- Reviewing minutes of Program Review Meetings with the objective of identifying challenges affecting the implementation of the projects and make timely corrective actions
- Capturing any good practices and facilitate their sharing in-country and within the SADC region;
- Mainstreaming environmental and social safeguards in the design, installation and utilization of the infrastructure
- Assisting Member States to comply with environmental guidelines in the World Bank’s simplified Environmental Management Framework-Environmental Management Plan (EMF-EMP)
The ideal Infrastructure Consultant must meet the following criteria:
- Hold at least a Degree in Civil/Water or other engineering discipline involving the planning, installation, operation and maintenance of water related infrastructure
- Proven experience in groundwater development and a track record of more than 10 years post-graduation working experience with groundwater infrastructure projects
- Knowledge of the groundwater sector in the SADC region is a distinct advantage
- Demonstrated ability to provide technical leadership on water infrastructure projects.
- Ability to train project stakeholders and imparting knowledge.
- Have at least 5 years’ experience of project proposal writing for funding of water infrastructure projects.
- Demonstrate an excellent understanding of environmental and social safeguards in the design, installation and utilization of groundwater infrastructure
- Be fluent in English, while knowledge/fluency of Portuguese and/or French will be considered favourably.
- Be willing to travel to Member States.
Have prior experience working with donor funded projects.