Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI)
WORLD BANK ASSISTED
Project ID: P127086
Issuance Date: 30 August 2019
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI)
CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION
CONSULTANCY SERVICES TO DEVELOP OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE TRAINING
MANUAL FOR GROUNDWATER INFRASTRUCTURE.
Contract No: Contract No: ZA-SADC-GMI-126026-CS-CQS
SADC-GMI is a regional centre of excellence on groundwater management hosted by the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services – Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana, with the vision to ensure the equitable, sustainable use and protection of groundwater in the SADC region. SADC-GMI is currently implementing the Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States project, which comprises four main components. Under component D the grant made provision for operational support for groundwater infrastructure development which will involve developing and disseminating manuals for infrastructure solutions that can improve groundwater management for small infrastructures. These Terms of Reference are for enlisting the services of a consultant to implement the task of developing the operations and Maintenance training Manual for groundwater Infrastructure and to offer the first training based on the manual.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The key objective of this assignment is the development of an Operation and Maintenance Training Manual (O&M) for groundwater related infrastructure and to offer the first training based on the manual, to technical groundwater practitioners, students and decision makers from SADC Member States.
The tasks to be carried out by the consultant under this assignment will include, but will not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Conduct a kick-off meeting with the SADC-GMI staff to get clarification and understanding of the assignment covering the detailed scope of work and specific tasks.
- Undertake a desk study of the current technology and groundwater infrastructure options that are prevalent in SADC Member States and status quo of their operation and maintenance practices, policies and procedures and determine the best practices and their effectiveness and any areas of weakness identified. This should also include identifying and studying similar O&M Training Manuals.
- Conduct a desk study of mechanisms for financing O&M activities which should include but not limited to; Recurring and non- recurring Costs; Depreciation; Debt management; Asset replacement; and Tariff structures. Protocols for periodic and scheduled maintenance should also be studied.
- Update the methodology, approach and techniques to be applied during the assignment through a consultative process involving meetings with SADC-GMI and selected SADC Member States.
- Produce an inception report detailing how the various tasks will be conducted during the assignment including important milestones, an Outline/Structure (Table of Contents) of the proposed O&M Training Manual, Stakeholder analysis for purposes of developing the Training Manual, updated approach for data collection (e.g. interviews, questionnaires, etc) as well as detailed time scale for the various activities to be conducted during the assignment.
- Conduct a half-day Inception Workshop with the relevant SADC-GMI staff to discuss and agree on the Inception Report.
- Elaborate a training manual on agreed components of groundwater infrastructure and best practices. The O&M Training Manual should include protocols and templates on planning and budgeting for various aspects of the operations and maintenance of infrastructure in order to ensure sustainability.
- Conduct consultations with relevant training institutions (including Universities, Africa Groundwater Network (AGW-Net), groundwater infrastructure operators, Municipalities, representative Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies) from the SADC Member states to obtain and utilise their views on the
practicalities/opportunities and challenges in order to produce a first draft O&M Training Manual.
- Conduct a consultation workshop (half-day) with SADC-GMI staff and selected stakeholders identified in the Inception Report to discuss the 1st draft of the O&M Training Manual for groundwater infrastructure in SADC Member States.
- Produce a Final Versions of the manual and facilitate development of appropriate training templates and case studies and examples to assist with the training. This should include PowerPoint presentations per chapter/module as will be discussed and agreed with SADC-GMI. Deliver print-ready O&M Training Manual to SADC-GMI.
- Prepare and Conduct a pilot training in preparation for training up to 40 participants from the SADC member States. Development of target participant profiles and logistics will be done jointly with SADC-GMI.
- This assignment is targeting a firm with a track record of more than 7 years proven experience in capacity building initiatives in the water infrastructure sector in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly having at least 5 years’ experience in the groundwater sector within the SADC region.
- The firm should demonstrate a proven track record of successfully completing at least 3 similar projects, of which at least 1 should have been in the SADC region.
SCHEDULE AND DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
This is a once-off assignment without any obligation for follow-up work and it is expected to run for nine (9) months with an estimated aggregate level of effort of 270 man-days for key experts only all-inclusive of both field, travel and office work.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Interested consultancy firms are requested to submit an expression of interest. The expression of interest should include the following;
- Valid Business License
- Registration Certificate of TIN and VAT
- Company Certificate Registration/Incorporation
- Evidence showing that the firm is a legal entity (certificate of registration);
- Experience of working in a similar geographical region (SADC region);
- Availability of Professional Key Staff with Suitable Qualifications in the field of assignment;
- Evidence of at least 3 similar projects previously successfully completed, of which 1 was in the SADC region;
- Evidence showing the technical and managerial capabilities of the firm in the field of assignment;
- Brief description (not more than 3 pages) of the proposed Methodology of carrying out the scope of the work;
- The EOI submission should not exceed 30 pages.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours i.e. 08:00 am-4:00pm, Monday – Friday or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bidders must submit Request for Expressions of Interest (EOI) by e-mail to email@example.com or submit the documents in a sealed envelope by hand or post to the address provided below by 12:00 noon (RSA Time) on 20 September 2019.
Tender envelopes shall be marked “Tender No. Contract No: ZA-SADC-GMI- 126026-CS-CQS: CONSULTANCY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A TRAINING MANUAL ON PREPARATION OF PROPOSALS TO ACCESS FUNDING FOR GROUNDWATER RELATED INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
Procurement and Grants Office
SADC Groundwater Management Institute
Institute for Groundwater Studies
University of the Free State
Bloemfontein, SOUTH AFRICA
Office Tel: +27 51 401 7721