Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI)
WORLD BANK ASSISTED
Project ID: P127086
Issuance Date: 30 August 2019
REQUEST FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST (EOI)
CONSULTING SERVICES – FIRMS SELECTION
CONSULTANCY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A TRAINING MANUAL ON PREPARATION OF
PROPOSALS TO ACCESS FUNDING FOR GROUNDWATER RELATED INFRASTRUCTURE
Contract No. Contract No: ZA-SADC-GMI-126022-CS-CQS
The Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI) is a regional centre of excellence on groundwater management hosted by the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa on behalf of and under the strategic guidance of the SADC Secretariat, Directorate of Infrastructure and Services – Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana, with the vision to ensure the equitable, sustainable use and protection of groundwater in the SADC region. SADC-GMI is currently implementing the Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States project, which comprises four main components. Under component D, the grant provides for operational support to Member States for effecting groundwater infrastructure development through various forms including the elaboration and dissemination of manuals and guidelines to address various capacity gaps. These Terms of Reference are for enlisting the services of a consultant to implement the task of developing a training manual for the preparation of project proposals to access funding for groundwater infrastructure as foreseen under Component D of the project.
OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The key objective of this consultancy is the development of a Training Manual for the Preparation of Proposals to Access Funding for groundwater related infrastructure projects.
The tasks to be carried out by the consultant under this assignment will include, but will not necessarily be limited to the following:
- Conduct a kick-off meeting with the SADC-GMI staff to get clarification on the scope of the assignment.
- Update the elaboration on the methodology, approach and techniques to be applied during the assignment through a consultative process, which shall involve conducting consultative meetings with SADC-GMI and SADC Member States.
- Produce an inception report detailing how the various activities and specific tasks listed hereunder will be conducted during the assignment based on the updated understanding built from the inception period.
- Conduct a half-day Inception Workshop with the relevant SADC-GMI staff to discuss and agree on the Inception Report.
- Review policies and laws relevant to the SADC Member States with regards to funding for groundwater related infrastructure and accessing of funding from potential funding agencies.
- Conduct a thorough analysis of the detailed project proposal structures, formats, content and styles utilised by the water sector in SADC Member States and identify aspects that can be adopted and/or improved.
- Identify the main donors, banks and agencies, funding water related infrastructure projects in the SADC region and review proposal requirements by these funding agencies, with the view of incorporating the requirements in the training manual.
- Conduct consultations with relevant training institutions (including Universities, Africa Groundwater Network (AGW-Net), Municipalities, Water Utilities, Funding Agencies (Africa Development Bank (AfDB), Development Bank of Southern Africa; etc.), representative Government Ministries, Departments and Agencies) to obtain and utilise their views to produce a first draft Training Manual.
- Elaborate a training manual based on the agreed components in the Outline/Table of Contents in the approved Inception Report. The Training Manual should include protocols and templates on planning and budgeting for various aspects of the project proposal for groundwater related infrastructure in order to secure funding from potential funding agencies.
- Conduct a consultation workshop (half-day) with SADC-GMI staff and selected stakeholders to discuss the 1st draft of the Training Manual for groundwater infrastructure in SADC Member States.
- Produce a Final Version of the manual and facilitate development of appropriate training templates and case studies/examples to assist with the training. This should include PowerPoint presentations per chapter/module as will be discussed and agreed with SADC-GMI. Deliver to SADC-GMI print-ready Project Proposal Preparation Training Manual to Access Funding for groundwater related infrastructure projects.
- Prepare and Conduct training of up to 40 participants from the SADC Member States.
- SADC-GMI is therefore looking to engage a firm with proven experience in capacity building initiatives and a track record of more than 8 years in capacity building initiatives in the water infrastructure sector in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly having at least 5 years’ experience in the groundwater sector within the SADC region.
- The consultant is expected to demonstrate detailed understanding of project proposal development and demonstrate a track record in the development of proposals that have secured funding in the infrastructure sector.
- The firm should demonstrate a proven track record of successfully completing at least 3 similar projects, of which at least 1 should have been in the SADC region.
SCHEDULE AND DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT
This is a once-off assignment without any obligation for follow-up work and it is expected to run for 11 months with an estimated aggregate level of effort of 270 mandays for key experts only all-inclusive of both field, travel and office work.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Interested consultancy firms are requested to submit an expression of interest. The expression of interest should include the following;
- Valid Business License
- Registration Certificate of TIN and VAT
- Company Certificate Registration/Incorporation
- Evidence showing that the firm is a legal entity (certificate of registration);
- Experience of working in a similar geographical region (SADC region);
- Availability of Professional Key Staff with Suitable Qualifications in the field of assignment;
- Evidence of at least 3 similar projects previously successfully completed, of which 1 was in the SADC region;
- Evidence showing the technical and managerial capabilities of the firm in the field of assignment;
- Brief description (not more than 3 pages) of the proposed Methodology of carrying out the scope of the work;
- The EOI submission should not exceed 30 pages.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours i.e. 08:00 am-4:00pm, Monday – Friday or at email@example.com.
Bidders must submit Request for Expressions of Interest (EOI) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit the documents in a sealed envelope by hand or post to the address provided below by 12:00 noon (RSA Time) on 20 September 2019.
Request for Expressions of Interest envelopes shall be marked
No. ZA-SADC-GMI-126022-CS-CQS: CONSULTANCY FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF A TRAINING MANUAL ON PREPARATION OF PROPOSALS TO ACCESS FUNDING FOR GROUNDWATER RELATED INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECTS
Procurement and Grants Office
SADC Groundwater Management Institute
Institute for Groundwater Studies
University of the Free State
Bloemfontein, SOUTH AFRICA
Office Tel: +27 51 401 7721