Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI)
WORLD BANK ASSISTED
Project ID: P127086
Issuance Date: 23 August 2019
Request For Expressions Of Interest (EOI)
Consulting Services – Firms Selection
Assessment Of Groundwater Resources Development Priority Intervention Areas In The SADC Region
Contract No. ZA-SADC-GMI-126014-CS-QCBS
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) Secretariat, through the Directorate of Infrastructure and Services – Water Division, in Gaborone, Botswana received a grant through the
World Bank to implement the Sustainable Groundwater Management in SADC Member States project. The SADC Secretariat has delegated the implementation of the project to the Southern African Development Community Groundwater Management Institute (SADC-GMI), a newly established regional centre of excellence on groundwater management, hosted by the University of the Free State in Bloemfontein, South Africa.
The SADC-GMI intends to build on previous work and pilot projects developed under the SADC Groundwater and Drought Management Project which undertook research into and built understanding of groundwater-related risk identification and management (for example, Drought Vulnerability Mapping and Economic Valuation Studies). The SADC-GMI is therefore initiating activities that contribute to mitigating the impacts of climate and droughts on the most vulnerable of populations in the SADC region where 40% of the population does not have proper and secure access to drinking water, while they rely on groundwater as the primary and often the only source of water. There is need to bring the role of groundwater in securing water supply during periods of droughts to the forefront.
THE OBJECTIVE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
The overall objective of the study is to assess groundwater resources and identify areas that are prone to groundwater drought in the SADC region by making use of existing geospatial, hydrological and hydrogeological datasets and a revised Groundwater Drought Risk Map of the region. The study will further identify the most suitable infrastructure interventions in the areas in most need.
SCOPE OF WORK AND SPECIFIC TASKS OF THE CONSULTANTS:
To achieve the objectives of this assignment, the successful consultant will be expected to implement the following core tasks which are not exhaustive:
- Revise groundwater drought risk map.
- Review and incorporate approaches taken in similar studies provided by SADC-GMI on similar projects undertaken on the African continent
- Determine the surface water availability and variability over the SADC region
- Determining the population centres that are most in need of water supply interventions
- Identify the most adequate and cost-effective water supply solution for the centres in most need
- Perform an inventory and assessment of the groundwater resources and groundwater infrastructure in the priority areas.
- Perform a high level feasibility of implementing the identified interventions in the priority areas
TIMING OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
This is a once-off assignment without any obligation for follow-up work and it is intended to be implemented over approximately 12 months.
The ideal Consultant should be a registered firm with proven experience in Hydrogeology/ Water resources planning/ Hydro-geo-spatial analysis, or related discipline; plus a track record of more than 10 years in mainstream groundwater and water resources planning and management in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly the SADC region. Firms demonstrating a proven track record of successfully completing at least 3 similar projects, of which 1 should have been in the SADC region are preferred.
EXPRESSION OF INTEREST SUBMISSION REQUIREMENTS
Interested consultancy firms are requested to submit an expression of interest. The expression of interest should include the following;
- Valid Business License
- Registration Certificate of TIN and VAT
- Company Certificate Registration/Incorporatio
- Evidence showing that the firm is a legal entity (certificate of registration);
- Experience of working in a similar geographical region (SADC region);
- Availability of Professional Key Staff with Suitable Qualifications in the field of assignment;
- Evidence of at least 3 similar projects previously successfully completed, of which 1 was in the SADC region;
- Evidence showing the technical and managerial capabilities of the firm in the field of assignment;
- Brief description (not more than 3 pages) of the proposed Methodology of carrying out the scope of the work;
- The EOI submission should not exceed 30 pages.
Further information can be obtained at the address below during office hours i.e. 08:00 am-4:00pm, Monday – Friday or at email@example.com.
Bidders must submit Request for Expressions of Interest (EOI) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or submit the documents in a sealed envelope by hand or post to the address provided below by 12:00 noon (RSA Time) on 20 September 2019.
Request for Expressions of Interest envelopes shall be marked
No. ZA-SADC-GMI-126014-CSQCBS: ASSESSMENT OF GROUNDWATER RESOURCES DEVELOPMENT PRIORITY INTERVENTION AREAS IN THE SADC REGION
Procurement and Grants Office
SADC Groundwater Management Institute
Institute for Groundwater Studies
University of the Free State
Bloemfontein, SOUTH AFRICA
Office Tel: +27 51 401 7721